Thursday, November 6, 2014

Patterns (Puzzle No. 3,344)

(Sorry for the delay finishing the post: I had a battery problem.)

Do you find yourself following a pattern when you solve?  All the acrosses first?  Outside to inside? Or maybe no pattern: just solve whatever clue your eye falls on?  When I solve straight cryptics I usually try to challenge myself by making a chain: only solving clues that intersect answers I’ve already got instead of picking off the easy ones first.  For some reason, I did this one acrosses first though.

What’s your solving routine?  Share it in the comments.

Link to puzzlehttp://www.thenation.com/article/188105/puzzle-no-3344

Degree of difficulty (by standards of this weekly puzzle): easy

Hozom’s comment: Rising to the Surface, in which Hot and Trazom explain what makes a clue read well: the natural (non-cryptic) reading of a clue is called the surface.  They also share a few clinkers. When I try cluing, I usually overdo it on shaping the surface.

Weekly cluing challenge (at Word Salad): MILLIONS, OREGANO, and PARODY—a three-way challenge (the aforementioned clinkers)

Back with the solution Monday.  Join us this weekend for Sunday brunch:  there’s a great variety cryptic on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're responding to a hint request, please remember not to give more information than necessary. More direct hints are allowed after Monday.