Thursday, April 30, 2015

What attracts you to a puzzle? (Puzzle No. 3,361)

I don’t think I’m giving anything away by telling you there’s a theme in this week’s The Nation cryptic.  It’s pretty well executed.  I also solved the New York Times puzzle today.

I don’t feel a habitual need to do the Times puzzle, but if I get my hands on a copy (which I did while I was on my morning walk) and the puzzle looks interesting, I'll give it a go.  Usually, “interesting” means some kind of theme or bonus, or an unusual grid or some other gimmick.  There are enough straight crosswords out there that a constructor needs to catch your eye to have you solve his or her puzzle and not someone else’s.

There are probably others whose habits are the inverse of mine: they have a daily straight crossword they solve habitually, and variety puzzles won’t get solved unless there’s something attractive about them.

What kind of puzzles jump up and say “Solve me!” to you?  Share your comments and maybe some of those constructors will see your comment and give you more of them!

Link to puzzlehttp://www.thenation.com/article/205577/puzzle-no-3161

Degree of difficulty (by standards of this weekly puzzle): easy

Agility factor: low to moderate.  Clues were driven by the theme, so there weren’t the usual opportunities to be playful.

Back with the solution on Monday. In the meantime, how about cluing the word ATTRACT? Share your clues in the comment section.

1 comment:

  1. What happens to opposites showing a gene sequence with red/green colorblindness

    ReplyDelete

If you're responding to a hint request, please remember not to give more information than necessary. More direct hints are allowed after Monday.